Saint James School is rich in tradition while always keeping up with the times. The school was founded in 1921, opened its doors in 1922, and the graduated its first class in 1927. With Manchester’s sudden and rapid growth in the 1940s, the school expanded to accommodate two classes per grade level from Kindergarten through 8th grade.
- With more families having two working parents, Saint James School opened an extended day program in 1989 to provide quality after-school care for its students. The following year, a full-day kindergarten option was offered to parents. Families may choose between this program and the traditional half-day program for their kindergarten-age child.
- In 1993, Saint James Pre-Kindergarten program was born. It found its home in the newly renovated and beautiful convent building adjacent to the school. Surrounded by loving teachers and breathtaking stained glass, the newest students of Saint James School ranged in age from three to five years old and may now choose between two, three and five day programs.
- As the computer age emerged, Saint James kept pace by creating a state-of-the-art computer lab in which every child in the class has his/her own computer. The students began to learn valuable computer skills while also reinforcing their classroom studies with parallel curricula.
- In 2003, the purchase of real estate on the west side of the school has expanded outdoor play to four areas. This space is used for outdoor gym classes, recess, and special events such as field day.
- In the 2006-2007 school year, the school began offering before-school care for children whose parents have to get to work early. The Pre-Kindergarten also began offering a full-day session for 4-5 year olds.
- In 2010, Saint James School was awarded Blue Ribbon status by the U.S. Department of Education. Considered the highest level of honor for academic excellence, Saint James School was one of only 50 private schools nationwide bestowed with this honor in 2010.
Today and in the years to come, parents can feel assured that Saint James School will continue to change and grow with the needs of the times while never wavering from its mission to provide a quality academic education founded in Catholic values.